The following information addresses the most important aspects of voter registration and elections in the Borough of Ringwood:
Primary Elections are held on the Tuesday immediately following the first Monday in June. Polls are open from 6 am – 8 pm.
General Elections are held on the Tuesday immediately following the first Monday in November. Polls are open from 6 am – 8 pm.
Election Dates 2014
- April 9 - Last day for Change of Party Affiliation Declaration
- May 13 - Last day to Register to Vote in the Primary Election
- May 27 - Last day to apply for Mail-in Ballot by Mail for Primary Election
- June 2 - Deadline for In-person Mail-in Ballot Applications for Primary Election - County Clerk's office by 3:00 pm
- June 3 - Primary Election. Polls open 6 am - 8 pm. See sample ballot for polling location
- July 28 - Deadline for Petitions for School Board Election Candidates for General Election
- October 14 - Last day to Register to Vote in the General Election
- October 28 - Last day to apply for Mail-in Ballot by mail for General Election
- November 3 - Deadline for In-person Mail-in Ballot Applications for General Election - County Clerk's office by 3:00 pm
- November 4 - General Election Day. Polls open 6 am - 8 pm. See sample ballot for polling location
If you have recently moved to Ringwood or moved to a different part of town; if you are newly married or if you are currently not registered to vote in Ringwood; please stop by the Borough Clerk's office during normal business hours to update your information or register to vote.
FACTS ABOUT VOTER REGISTRATION
A person may register to vote who is: A United States citizen, At least 18 years of age by Election Day, A New Jersey resident at least 30 days before the election, not in jail, on probation or parole because of a felony conviction, registered to vote at least 21 days before the election.
IDENTIFICATION (ID) REQUIREMENTS
If you register to vote by mail for the first time in the county, you will have to provide some identification.
If you register by mail, you will be asked by the County Commissioner of Registration to provide your driver's license number or the last four digits of your social security number. The numbers are kept confidential and are not given to anyone.
If you do not have a driver's license number or social security number, you can give a copy of a photo ID or a copy of a document that has your name and address on it. Here are some examples:
- A current and valid photo ID: NJ driver's license, US passport, Military or other government ID, student or job ID, store membership ID.
- Or any document with your name and address: bank statement, car registration, government check or document, rent receipt, utility bill, any other official document.
To obtain a mail-in ballot, you must fill out an application. You can obtain a mail-in ballot application by downloading the application below. Applications are also available in the Borough Clerk's office or County Clerk's office.
Once you apply for a Mail-in Ballot, you will not be permitted to vote by machine at your polling place in the same election.
If a registered voter, who is declared in a specific political party, wishes to change his/her political party affiliation, he/she must complete a Party Affiliation Declaration form, 55 days before the Primary Election
. Completed forms are to be mailed or delivered in person to the Office of the Superintendent of Elections/Commissioner of Registration, 317 Pennsylvania Avenue, Paterson, NJ 07503.
Listing files in 'Election Information'