Obtaining a Civil Union or Marriage License
Civil Union and Marriage applications are taken Monday through Friday, 9:00 am- 4:00 pm, excluding holidays and are by appointment only. Call (973) 475-7106.
Application may be made up to 6 months before, but not less than 72 hours before the ceremony. Applicants must be at least 18 years of age. After the waiting period, applicants must return to pick up their license. Licenses cannot be mailed. Additional information can be found in How to Obtain a Marriage License?
Application requirements - NO EXCEPTIONS
- $28.00 fee
- Proof of identity by presenting your driver’s license, passport or state/federal I.D.
- One witness over the age of 18
- Proof of residence - If it is not on the ID
- Termination of a Domestic Partnership
- Social Security Numbers (Your social security number is required by law for US citizens and will be kept confidential.)
- Any documents in a foreign language must be accompanied by a certified English translation.
- Divorce decree if either party has been married before
- Death certificate if widowed
- Dissolution of a Civil Union if either party has been in a civil union before; Termination of a Domestic Partnership
- Birth certificates or naturalization papers
Five days after the ceremony: The civil union or marriage certificate will be on file in the municipality where the ceremony was performed (responsibility of the person who officiates at your ceremony).
For complete listing of Registrars in the State of New Jersey, click here.
Certified Copy of Vital Records (birth, marriage, death)
Certified copies of births, civil unions, marriage and death certificates, are issued for events which occurred in the Borough of Ringwood.
To obtain an application for a certified copy, please call 973-475-7106 and one will be provided to you thru email or USPS. Application requests for certified copies are taken by phone Monday through Friday, 9:00 am- 4:00 pm, excluding holidays.
Once the application for a Certified Copy of Vital Record is completed and two forms of valid ID are provided with $10 for each copy requested a certified copy or copies will be printed. The certified copy can be picked up in person or mailed to you.
*Please note in person payment must be cash (exact amount please) or check. Only checks are accepted through the mail.
If you have any questions, please contact:
- Laurel Kidd, Deputy Registrar - 973-475-7106
- Evelyn Leenas, Alternate Deputy - 973-475-7171
Registrar Office Hours: Monday – Friday 9:00 am - 4:00 pm
Who may obtain a certified copy of a Vital Record?
Acceptable forms of identification
Return to Department of Health main page